Greer Funeral Home was established in Mangum on February 1, 1923, by Eugene L. and Ida M. Greer. They had come to Mangum from Ozark, Arkansas where Eugene’s family operated a funeral home. Ida had grown up in the neighboring town of Altus, Arkansas as part of the Swiss community.
In those days it was not unusual for a funeral home to sell hardware, paint, and furniture as well as caskets and funeral services. They worked hard to establish themselves in the community as young newlyweds and purchased the “undertaking” part of the business from C.P. Hamilton.
During the early part of World War II, their son, William H. “Bill” Greer joined the firm as a teenager when other staff members were called to military service. After Bill’s military commitment he was joined by his wife, the former Billye Bennett from Blair, and eventually purchased the firm. In 1965, they added the facility at Granite.
In September 1994, Bill and Billye sold to Lowell-Tims Funeral Home of Altus. On November 6, 2009, Jerry Don and Donna Henry purchased the Mangum and Granite locations of Greer Funeral Home. Their ownership insures that the high standards of honesty and integrity, first set by Eugene and Ida eighty-six years ago, will continue.